The month of October in Chicago is wonderful! The air is crisp, the leaves are changing, the transition from summer to fall is beautiful and awe-inspiring. But one thing that isn’t lovely about this time of year is the beginning of cold and flu season. Here are a few tips and facts about cold and flu prevention that will hopefully help you stay healthy so you can enjoy the fall season:
- Going outside with wet hair will not cause a cold or flu! Just had to put that out there. I don’t care whose mama or grandma says it. Colds and the flu are viruses. While your nose will run and you will get a chill if you go out when your hair is wet, it will not cause cold or flu. However, sharing a pen with someone who DOES have a cold will contribute to you getting sick.
- Soup does help! Hot soup prepared with lots of vegetables helps with the runny nose and congestion that goes along with a cold. Plus the vegetables add to the vitamin intake that can help you strengthen your immune system.
- The best defense is…vitamins! Taking supplements and/or eating foods rich in Vitamins A, C, and E.
- Get up! Walk around, move your arms..do something! Exercise is fine to do when you are sick-just don’t overdo it because that could possibly weaken your immune system. But make sure that you stay reasonably active, it will help you feel better.
- Oh and-Drink water! Beber agua! Boire de l’eau! пить воду! In whatever language, do it and stay healthy.