The word of the day today is focus. I heard a great saying yesterday.
“There is no traffic on the extra mile.”
Stay focused and keep going.
Cinnamon. A spice. Often described (in songs anyway) as sweet..but it isn’t really is it? Be that as it may, there are some pretty sweet health benefits of cinnamon:
1. It regulates blood sugar. It has a 3-5% effect on blood sugar, similar to what older generation diabetes drugs had, making it helpful for pre-diabetics.
2. Reduces pain linked to arthritis. I have also read that because of its natural warming capabilities, it is mixed with oil used in massage therapy.
3. Research has shown that it may reduce the proliferation on colon cancer cells (!). Who knew?
4. Cinnamon can effectively reduce menstrual pain. It has cinnamaldehydes (Wow! Scientists had to stretch to come up with that one, huh?) that could help balance hormonal levels.
5. It helps put a temporary end to the cruel, cruel winter (or as we know it here in Chicago spring) as a mood enhancer. Ancient wisdom says that the smell of cinnamon helps to ward the winter blues away. A study out of West Virginia showed that the scent of cinnamon reduced driver irritability. I’m sure there are many city drivers that will test that theory by keeping several rolled bundles of cinnamon in their car-maybe it will help curb road rage during construction seas..er..Chicago summer.
As seen in Brides magazine, this spaghetti strap gown from Casablanca Bridal features a V-neck in the front and a deep V plunge, with beautiful exposure of the back. Now, some of the important body features of this dress-shoulders, biceps, triceps back and waist. Here is a quick home workout to help sculpt those areas using bodyweight:
- 15 pushups (full or modified/knee)
- 15 chair tricep dips
- 15 opposite arm/leg supermans (each side-just count to 30)
- 15 hip ups (each side)
- 30 seconds plank
- 30 reverse plank
Repeat 3 times. More Lets Get It On! Workouts to come, If you are interested in a custom Lets Get it On! Workout check me out on fiverr.com where I offer a quick, custom workout video for occasion dresses for just $5. Stay Fitty!
Nice warm up groove. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
What does that have to do with fitness and wellness you ask? Well, I’ll tell you. I love superheroes! So naturally I love comic books. I love the art, the colors, the story lines, the strong characters-especially the female characters.
I was a huge Wonder Woman fan growing up-mostly of the TV show but as awesome as that was isn’t that enough? To me, comic books and their female heroines-and supervillans-showed a depiction of female strength even if it is exaggerated at times. i mean, don’t get it twisted, I know the danger of the totally fabled body type that is often presented in the comics, but to their credit, it is often countered with at least a story line to demonstrate strong, intelligent and capable women with often superhuman abilities.
Modern comic books have more diversity than ever and to me, it is important for me to show my son multidimensional characters that challenge the norm.
So check out www.freecomicbookday.com and find a location near you that has events and of course-a free comic book!
With Compartment! And it comes in purple! On AMAZON for $12.86!
It’s May y’all! I know that this is the beginning of wedding season and while some brides already have a leg up on their fitness regimen for their big day, I know that there can never be too much advice on looking for best for one of the most exciting, stress inducing and joyous days of your life!
- Start your day with a good breakfast. Yeah, I know, you’ve heard it a million times but it is essential! Have a smoothie with greek yogurt and fruit (add protein powder if you like) or have one of my favorites: steel cut oatmeal.
- Have goals. Write them down-the earlier the better! Do you want to lose weight or sculpt what you are working with already? Do you need to pay attention to your diet or do you need to..
- Hit the weights! Most people go to the old stand-by (or at least what they believe) of weight loss exercising-cardio. Now I love cardio, but the keys to maintaining a healthy weight lie in 1. A clean diet 2. Strength training 3. Cardio. In that order.
- Visualize how you want to look in your dress. Of course you have a picture of your dress in your desk, purse and gym bag. But also know the silhouette of the dress. Is it backless? Its it a short dress? Does it show off your waist? Tailor your workouts to accentuate what you have naturally as well as what you develop while training. You also want to increase your endurance levels! Wedding planning is no joke-lots of running around, making decisions, and late nights. You are going to need energy for that so again, a good diet, appropriate rest and a good cardio regimen will help out with that. Plus dontcha wanna dance all night at the reception?
- Meditatation. Yoga. Long (or short) Walks. Whatever that can help you stay in the present space and not looking toward the future with that naturally occurring bridal anxiety. Taking some quiet time-even 15 minutes a day will help you stay ready for your wedding day.
Stay tuned for more bridal tips! Got questions? Just ask!