The word of the day today is focus. I heard a great saying yesterday.
“There is no traffic on the extra mile.”
Stay focused and keep going.
As seen in Brides magazine, this spaghetti strap gown from Casablanca Bridal features a V-neck in the front and a deep V plunge, with beautiful exposure of the back. Now, some of the important body features of this dress-shoulders, biceps, triceps back and waist. Here is a quick home workout to help sculpt those areas using bodyweight:
- 15 pushups (full or modified/knee)
- 15 chair tricep dips
- 15 opposite arm/leg supermans (each side-just count to 30)
- 15 hip ups (each side)
- 30 seconds plank
- 30 reverse plank
Repeat 3 times. More Lets Get It On! Workouts to come, If you are interested in a custom Lets Get it On! Workout check me out on fiverr.com where I offer a quick, custom workout video for occasion dresses for just $5. Stay Fitty!
Nice warm up groove. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
So I had a grand idea. A juice detox! We had a turrible (just turrible!) winter here in Chicago, I wanted to break out of hibernation and into a Spring Awakening! I also need to focus to propel my personal goals forward, I’m interested in taking my nutrition to the next level…so-why not? I started yesterday-a Sunday. I thought it would be not too tough, serene even. I wanted to incorporate specially selected strengthening and renewing yoga poses for the full experience. I mean, I knew I would be working off of fewer calories so I didn’t want to overdo it.
I woke up with the best intentions-I really did. I started with my Groupon purchased green juice from Peeled, a juice bar here in Chicago. It has kale, spinach cucumber and other goodies that I enjoy in solid form. Now, I was pleased because I hate pulp and these are pulp free. The taste of the green juice or Green Lantern was alright. Just more salad-y that I am used to at 8 am. I wanted to do some yoga and meditation but my son woke up, so there went that opportunity.
I did however, have an opportunity to set an intention for the day. It was ” Focus on the blessings of the day, remain in the present.” And I did remain in the present. My mind wandered throughout the day..thinking about..potato chips, barbecue and the like. Stuff that I haven’t been craving at all before today, now became the object of my desire, presently but it dissipated. Did I always think about food like this? Did I always mindlessly run and get a snack (healthy or not)? Hmmm..
Before I left out for the day, I journaled 3 things that I am grateful for and my feelings after my first drink. My feelings were journaled in one word. “Apprehensive.” but I noted that I was looking forward to mental clarity.
I went through my day, drank a lemonade concoction, a red drink called “Maroon 5” and another Green Lantern and finished up with the last two drinks of the day “Maroon 5” and Cashew Milk (I liked it because it is sweet!). I’m not going to lie. I had moments that my skin was tingling and I felt energized. Then I had a few headaches-not sure if it was from the detox or dealing with my son throwing up his breakfast right after church (he’s fine by the way!) I did try to prep for the detox by eating a vegetarian diet and drinking as much water as possible.
Side note: I would also like to note that while my son was throwing up, a woman came by out of nowhere (we left church early (don’t judge me) so no one was outside yet) saw him throwing up and offered baby wipes, tissue and minty gum (brand new pack) to help his stomach! I was so grateful to her in that moment. So, I did have a little reminder of how to be grateful in the present.
I will say that so far, this detox has me thinking a little differently about food and how I actually think about it. So that’s cool. Did I achieve the mental clarity right out the gate? Kale nawl. But I have two more wonderful days of juicing to go and I am no longer apprehensive but proud that I made it through the first day. Stay tuned for Day 2.
I am a part of a wonderful Facebook group called The Fit Girlz Clique. If you don’t know about it, go to Facebook and getchu some! It is a wonderful community of women who encourage and motivate either through pictures, words or both. The page always has great challenges and fitness events that are always changing and seem fun. For my first event with this group, I decided to join a Pole Fitness class. It was held at 8 am on a Saturday at Good Gyrrl Studios in the Bridgeport Arts Center on the South Side of Chicago. The instructor, Coach Robin of Alpha To Omega Wholistic Therapeutic Services is fantastic and I want to tell you why this pole fitness class was awesome.
1. This class was located in the Bridgeport Arts Center which is a huge warehouse/loft style building on the South Side of Chicago near US Cellular Field/The Cell/Comiskey Park. It mostly houses artist lofts, but also hosts another gym and a poetry lounge to name a few. The outside has a really nice courtyard area with a mosaic lined walkway and a big silver horse which goes along with the courtyard. I’m not gonna lie, me and a few others got a little turned around finding the actual studio but when we got there, we found the Good Gyrrl Studio to be cute, not too girly and sensually decorated with leopard print, velvet covered seats and four poles in the middle of the room for the pole fitness class. I also saw some hula hoops and weights so I am sure that other interesting courses are taught there and since a few of us (yes, me too) forgot our mats, there were several mats available for our use.
2. Some of us were a little late, but once we got there, we found Coach Robin ready to go. She got us warmed up, was detailed and informative in her instruction and made the workout accessible for everyone. On another note, girlfriend has some serious pole skills. I was in awe and quite impressed. i learned quite a bit in that one class, such as the use of a product called “tack” that you can rub on your hands and in my case, on my inner thighs to keep from slipping on the pole.
3. I love a challenge which is why I chose this class. The challenge of pole fitness is first a test of your body weight strength. We worked our core, upper body, inner thighs..outer thighs..every.thing. No weights, only using the pole for support. We learned a few basic spins, one was called The Cradle, as well as how to a Handstand. This workout was fun and no joke!
4. The ladies that participated in this class were wonderful, open minded and even though I had never met any of them before, were some of the friendliest women I have ever met. We all had varying levels of fitness ability, but we all were there to exercise and experience something new. Because of the different things taught in this class, some people found some new found ability, others found flexibility and we all caught a little sexy cuz, well, frankly we all were to begin with.
5. I loved the music! I am a huge Prince friend and one of the warmup songs was “Sexy Dancer”. From the first few bars of that song, I was all in for the rest of the class. We also took a musical interlude break when Sugar Hill Gangs Apache (Jump On It) came on. If you know that song, you know the dance that Will and Carlton from the “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” did. Yes we did it. And it was glorious.
6. The pole is your friend. If you take a class like this, you must remember that. It is there to support you and help you do fun, amazing spins that you did not think you could do. And don’t think that because you are not your ideal weight that this is out of reach for you. If you want to do it, go for it. You might find something that you didn’t know was there.
There you have it. Despite some light inner thigh chafing and some soreness the next day, I am totally and completely in love with Pole Fitness and will enthusiastically do this again.
Today, I am very proud to announce that I have been named an Ambassador to Black Fitness Today (BFT)! blackfitnesstoday.com is a premiere website that showcases fitness trends, articles and success stories in the African American community. As an ambassador, I will continue to promote fitness as a lifestyle and ensure that everyone has access to fitness resources and information that will continue to motivate on the path to wellness.
Check out blackfitnesstoday.com and take a look at the I am BFT Campaign! I am honored and excited to take part in this campaign and get the word out!
I have been out of the game for good reason, but time to get back to work! This song is mostly appropriate for cooldowns-but um..And? So What? Its motivating! It is also a appropriate for a preview for tomorrow’s post. Stay tuned! Happy Monday! Stay motivated and Feel Fitty!